Friday, November 28, 2014

Recent Buys - That Dummy Bought What?

Let me start by pointing your attention to my disclaimer at the bottom of the page and also say that I am only at the beginning of a long haul that I am hoping will bear fruit down the line.  I made a couple of buys recently that may turn out to be good, or may turn out to be bad.  I feel that I have enough safety (for my tastes) built into the rest of my total portfolio that I can afford a little risk along the way.  Let's also assume that I will push ahead in the coming months to add more run-of-the-mill, traditional dividend stocks.  But I wanted to grab a couple pieces now that may pay well or perhaps better.  So let's get to it.

I wanted in on some of the REIT action.  Love it or hate it, they seem to pay dividends.  ARCP scared me a little, but other companies seem to be continuing to push forward.  I was looking around and found one that was depressed but still paying.  PennyMac Mortgage Investment Trust (PMT ) is a REIT involved in residential mortgage loans and mortgage-related assets.  I'll let you click on the Morningstar link provided to learn more.  I bought 20 shares at $21.56 for a total transaction with fees of $436.15.  This will bring an estimated 12 month dividend of $48.80.  Will dividends continue?  Maybe, maybe not.  Will the stock totally tank?  Maybe, maybe not.  But I'll take it for a ride and see what comes.

After the kinda risky move above, I wanted a stock that would pay monthly dividends.  Why? Because I wanted one, that's why.  Well, of the ones I found that were not funds, many were real estate and what-not.  But there was an energy stock in the form of Baytex Energy Corp (BTE). Again, click the link for more details.  They are involved in gas and oil with a foothold in the dirty-oil business. (dirty-oil is a technical term.)  With the recent massacre of oil type stocks due to the impending glut from OPEC and whatevers, the stock price fell even lower than what I was willing to buy.  So, I bought it even cheaper than what I was planning.  I bought 20 shares at $22.36 for a total transaction with fees of $452.15.  This will bring an estimated 12 month dividend of $57.60.  Oil stocks are admittedly iffy right now.  Seadrill just cut their dividends and oil stocks were getting hammered recently.  Now today, oil stocks were smashed.  Maybe now is a good time to get in. Maybe now is a good time to get out.  I have a feeling that oil is oil and eventually everybody is going to need oil.  I have a feeling the glut will only last so long before there is no glut.  I have a feeling dirty-oil will eventually get unlocked to the point that it is easily usable, or at least desperately usable.  We'll see how it all works out.

So it's been a busy November for me.  I made a few buys and drew down some of my cash that was sitting idle.  I'll have to draw back on bigger purchases for awhile and maybe look at small purchases through Loyal3 until I can gather bigger lumps of sums.  The plan going forward will be to buy into more blue-chip type companies and take this sucker for a ride.  I have to even out my portfolio and look into other sectors.  Financials need some love, but I'll get to it when I get to it.

Leave your comments below and let the hazing begin!

4 comments:

  1. Good monthly stock is EGAS. I have 37% capital appreciate while collecting a 4.7% yield since I purchased. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to look further into that one.

      Delete
  2. Hate to say this but with that low of amount, it is probably wiser to save up for larger purchases. The fees you are paying are going to kill your real return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my deposits are low right now, but if the dividends continue on course, I'll more than cover the $4.95 fee within a quarter. And over a 20 year investment time, I'm hoping everything will turn out OK. In time I'll gain more funds, just have little capital freed up right now. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete